Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Walking taco Wednesday

During our mother-daughter time on Monday night, my mother and I decided that "Taco Tuesday" is out and "Walking-Taco Wednesday" is in. Besides the fact that it is a quick and easy meal, it feeds a family of 6 on just $10. So with no further ado, rhyme or reason, this is my WALKING-TACO WEDNESDAY.

Dr Seuss had a lot of words to say about wacky wednesday and I now know why. There is just something about themed Wednesdays that make people (and animals) go bonkers! It all started just after midnight. Our opening scene is set in my parents' bedroom where we have a TV running football movies to hype up my brother, Mahonri, so he will be excited about the up coming football season and realize his potential. We have my mother sitting in bed playing a card game on her iPhone which has become a ritual that helps her fall asleep since her bed is not as comfortable when there are 4 kids in there with her. The lights are out and alex creeps in worming his way to the middle. A 9-yr old during the summer time is restless at best but his next move he wishes he didn't make. With just a slight move left, now sitting up, I get the chance to weasel my way in right underneath him and push him to the foot of the bed. I will admit, I was not helping the sleeping situation even for those who have work in the morning but I will never be too old to crawl in bed and kick my brother out of the spot next to my mother. I just love her so.

ALAS, the craziness goes on! The movie continues and Alex can't sit still so he is commanded to settle or leave. After much contemplation and various attempts to get back in his spot, or at least squeeze comfortably between me and my mother, Alexander the Great and Wonderful decides it's time to leave. I don't like that one bit, mischievous could very well be his middle name but I leave him be for now. A few minutes later, the movie is over and it's time to get in my bed. I walk down the hall and low and behold, my dear sweet brother took his revenge by taking my spot in my very own bed. "BLASPHEME" is the only word that comes to mind but after a long night already and my mother finally asleep, my brother slides over and we quickly fall in slumber.

The morning comes and to my mothers' surprise, it's just her and Mahonri in her bed. Alex and I might have fought to the death and disappeared or been kidnapped to her very wish but with a walk down the hall, she sees we are both still there and the time has come to wake up. Oliver is at our feet and the struggle goes on between my brother and me. I sit him up and toss him out of bed because words are never enough to get him up and ready. Simeon is ready and Alex half way there, so my mother informs me she's leaving which means 30 more minutes of sleep for me :)

I finally get up and take my brother to practice and I myself head back home remembering I left the straightener on... That never happens! Wednesday strikes with harmful blows to the heart but it hasn't killed me yet. I then proceed to the climbing walls where I get to be with the 11-yr old girls in our stake to talk about the Young Women and Personal Progress programs that they are about to become a part of in the near future. Besides seeing the curiosity and wonder in those young girls eyes, the best part of the day was being with the Jacksons. Sister Jackson and Anne are always a delight to see even just in passing but it's even better to see them for a time to work, walk and talk together. However, all good things come to a temporary end at some point so It's time to go find Mahonri after practice.


After unsuccessfully looking for a certain Coach of who we call Debra, I find cheerleaders! Old and new but no Debra. I even find people who can't bare to look me in the eye but Coach Hipes is no where to be found. She forgot to tell me in our 5 years together that she has a brother and sister she doesn't talk about... Carmen, who's middle name is ironically 'San Diego' and her brother, Waldo who I believe is the last man alive on earth that looks good in stripes and isn't convicted of any crimes. Not to mention even if convicted of crimes, it would be hard to find him! I was informed that I will have better luck finding her when she is actually in Europe which means the search will go on tomorrow.

With no debra in sight, I find my brother and we rush home in the heat but it is just too irresistible. I find my towel and my bathing suit, hoping for a kiss from the sun. Roxy and I lay out to enjoy it while we can but before long I look up and realize we are not alone. Oliver joined us and Mahonri looked out but the boys cannot handle the sun. Both stay in the shade then left us be so we could soak up some Vitamin D which is very useful in keeping us happy even when moods swing faster and better than professional dancers.


30 minutes later with Roxanne panting, we rehydrate and dance to some music. The boys soon leave to mutual activities at the stake center leaving my mother and I with a grocery list and a plan to finish our Walking-Taco Wednesday. We only have a few things on the list but of course we come out with a load. Roxy taught me some good moves, of course, and I couldn't help but dance down every isle. People stare and think I'm crazy but the thrill of our themed Wednesday is getting in my soul so without embarrassment I continue and don't bother to control my body.

Finally out of the store and arrived at home, I greet Roxanne with a smile. I tell her I forgot to buy her food so she groans and shows me her teeth. My dad always said that's her way of smiling but this smile meant that since she didn't have food, she was going to eat me! I say I'm sorry and call her outside to show her I bought only the best dog food ever. I then turn around and see that she's in the car. What on Earth is she doing in the car? I have no idea! She just jumped in and curled up in protest saying she wasn't going to leave. I kissed at, I called, I whistled, and pet her but she wouldn't move! I had to close all but two doors, one for me to get in and the other to push her out. After 20 minutes she was finally out but still not talking to me. After all we went through today in bonding and girl time, it just wasn't enough to compensate for what I had said to make her mad.


So the day is finally winding down but dinner hasn't been made. The center of our Walking-Taco Wednesday isn't even on the stove yet. So my mother cooks it up, my father comes home and we enjoy our delicious dish. The last wacky thing to come out of Alex's mouth was an apology for sleeping in my bed. I reassured him he didn't have to be sorry and he was welcome anytime. My full size bed is way too empty for just me in the dark. Then to my pleasure (but really dismay), the wackiness finally stops. I suppose our fabulous meal would not let us rest until we completed our task in enjoying our dinner together.


I admit, that though it was mostly mind-boggling weird and hectically disordered, I wouldn't have this day any other way. Walking-Taco Wednesday will always be welcomed in my home to spice up our lives by enjoying the simple things. Whether near or far, the Ray family loves you all and we invite you to our next Walking-Taco Wednesday to be determined by the mother. Our door is always open to you wonderful people and we wish you safety until we meet again.

-Ani &&The Ray family

No comments:

Post a Comment