Sunday, August 14, 2011

The girl who can't say no

Have you seen 27 Dresses? Well if you haven't let me fill you in because in good and bad ways I find myself much like the main character who never says no.


Anyone who knows me also knows that I really don't ever say no, much like the movie clipping but maybe not as extreme. Whether it's a long list of errands, parties to be planned short notice or having some comfort time with the girls in the middle of hectic exam week, I just do not say no that often. So I was thinking with the help of "This Is Me Challenge," what are some things that I absolutely cannot say no to? Taking out the usuals, I still found the list was pretty long so I'm narrowing it down to a top 10. But even before I get to my "no list" I wanted to reflect on things I have a hard time accepting or saying 'yes' to.

Here are my top five things I just cannot accept (or say yes to):

1. Goodbyes. Don't tell me you are leaving because I am just not a believer. Call it optimism or call it denial, I would much rather say "Until we meet again."

2. Boys in skinny jeans. Not attractive, end of story.

3. Making choices. I can narrow things down but I can never choose between 'A' and 'B'. I'd much rather have some really good advice that helps me make a clear decision or someone to decide after I've narrowed it down. I even used to consult a Magic Eight Ball when decisions got rough.

4. Fish. I don't like eating fish, I don't like swimming with fish, I don't like the smell of fish.

5. "Will you be my girlfriend?" I don't know if I'm picky and I don't know if it's commitment issues but very few times have I ever said yes without going home and laying out the pros and cons of me being with a boy even if I knew it was coming and I liked him a lot. Weird? Maybe. It's not like he's asking me to marry him but I just can't accept it at first. Love isn't a battlefield I like to step into all that often.

And now for my 'no list', it isn't perfect or set in stone but these are a few things I wouldn't say no to... ever.

Things I CANNOT say "NO" to:

1. A hug, the number one most comforting thing whether I am happy or sad. I will choose a hug over breathing itself and I just can't say no, no matter who it may be.

2. A good dessert. Just as comforting as a hug but isn't always the best for me in the long run. Sugar overload is the very thing I try to stay away from but there is always sugar in my system.

3. Clothing. I'm a bargain hunter and rarely buy clothes unless they are on sale but even when I'm can't afford a candy bar, I love to go to the mall and just try on clothes that are cute, ugly, expensive, tacky and especially soft. I'm a sucker for mix-mathcing and finding new ideas from clothes I will never buy.

4. Dancing. I would be lying if I told you I didn't want to dance. Even when I'm tired, sick or past curfew, I can't say no to "just one dance." It brings a smile to my face and all of my best memories have something to do with a dance. Sweep me off my feet? I don't mind if you do.

5. Stars. I used to be obsessed with stars in my younger years and found it fascinating just being under them. Late at night it's where I clear my mind and contemplate things that make my head throb, good or bad I will never say no to the stars.

6. Puddle Stomping/splashing in fountains. In my opinion, you should always be ready to get wet. If I ever use the excuse about my hair just being done, my clothing being brand new or any other bogus phrase, I hope you tell me how ridiculous I sound. I am not one to care about my hair or being wet. I love dancing in the rain, stomping freezing puddles of Germany in flip flops and especially splashing in public fountains. I'm blessed with European fountains everywhere and even if it gets me in trouble, I'm willing to run for just one splash dance with a sculpture.

7. A whisper. I am stubborn and don't respond to yelling but if you ask sincerely with a gentle voice, I'm likely (as long as it doesn't put me in danger physically or spiritually) to drop everything for you. Especially when in a heated discussion, I will forget it all with the cry of a whisper

8. Disney. Walt and I were best friends in another life and I feel the need to keep our friendship alive by enjoying everything his "once upon a time" dream has turned in to. He has left his everything in good hands and they are making fabulous movies, attractions and thrill rides. Where would I be without Walt? I don't even want to think about it!

9. Friends and family. It's broad but it's true. If you need help I will make it work the best I can. If I'm not trying all that hard I must be really exhausted or don't know where to start but there are no excuses for you guys.

My number ten could be in part with number nine but I feel like it deserves it's own acknowledgment :)

10. Alexis Villanueva. I can count the number of times I've had to say no to you on one hand and those are not good memories! I adore living and working with you in all our endeavors from school to church callings and even apartment decor. I can't say no to a nice venting session and I definitely can't say no to a good laugh. We get caught up in the sweet life and cool plans we can dream up and it's great. I could say a lot of things to you and entrust you with my secrets but the hardest thing I could ever say to you would be one word with two letters that rhyme with "low."

-Ani

No comments:

Post a Comment