Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Prep time: 10 minutes

CONFESSION! I'm a pinner. I just love pinterest but there is one thing I hate about it. Every recipe I pin claims to be super easy so I just sit and dream about it all day. It's all great and dandy until it my dreams become reality and it's supposed to be the best thing ever... right? PSYCH! The biggest lie I've ever been told can be summed up in 4 words. It's even worse than "We need to talk..." That 4 word phrase leaves you stressed out and makes your heart drop. That is nothing compared to this....

"Prep time:10 minutes"

It gets you all excited and then you realize ten minutes into the prep time that there are some stipulations for prep time to only take ten minutes... unless it's canned soup or has no nutritional value that is. You have to have 4 pairs or hands and be able to have your mind think about completely different things at the same time. You have to be focused, my ADD "oh shinny" disorder does not help in this area. You also have to have a fabulously organized morning show kind of kitchen. I think ten minute prep time only happens after doing it multiple times and making it into an art. So really this "prep time" should say: minimum 10 minutes. That is much more realistic!

Anyways, besides the deceiving prep times sometimes included, pinterest is great. Today I not only made Monkey bread but I made forgotten kiss cookies too. It was while making the cookies that I realized I love to think about sweets and can eat sweets all day long as long as all I have to do is open the bag. It's only when I take the time to make the sweets that I feel like I can't eat sugar for the rest of my life. It's such a wonderful world we live in where everything is easily accesible to us within 5 minutes. Fast food meals, heat up dinners and individual sized ice cream tubs. When we crave something and want it, we can eat it... immediately! I know all too well that I can eat a whole bag of sweets to myself in one sitting but when I actually have to cook that meal or make the sweets, I'm no longer as hungry as I was before I made it. Am I the only one who feels this way?Cooking is great and gives me an accomplished feeling. And what do you know, it cured my sweet tooth.

Did I mention today was my birthday? What a great day to lose your sweet tooth! I even let myself have soda today, that felt great but that's the only sweet thing I could down. Maybe 21 years of all-you-can-eat sweets has given me diabetes. Maybe I'm just not used to eating during the day either so when I'm full on real food I don't feel the need to eat sweets. Whatever it is, it's weird. I've never felt like this before.

No matter how weird it is, today was great. I was so blessed with the best birthday present ever... the SUN was shining! Hallelujah! And I get to go country dancing tomorrow. It definitely has been a fabulous day. I owe it all to my dear mother too who has put up with me this long and has shared her birthdays with me since I was born. What a selfless woman who deserves the world!

Here's to everyday we live and pinterest to help us survive boredom
-Ani

No comments:

Post a Comment