Sunday, October 7, 2012

Davenport!!!

The little town of davenport probably wouldn't be on the map if it wasn't on the mississippi river and linked to a few other towns that create the Quad Cities. I've definitely found a new appreciation for a lot of things since being here like Cafe Rio, Asphalt roads, BYU-Idaho and family, just to name a few. Life is different in a good way. I would be lying if I said I completely loved it or that life was dandy all the time.

I was extremely blessed to come here and spend some time with my family, move in and relax just a bit. I was blessed even more when I found a job shortly after. That's when I got a wake up call and it went something like this.....

"YOU ARE NOT IN BYU IDAHO ANYMORE!!!!!"

And that's that. So needless to say it's been an eye re-opening adventure.

Oh davenport, oh davenport. What will I learn today? Probably something I didn't want to learn for sure. It will most likely consist of where the local bars are or how weird the world is in general. I'll see another ad of the presidential campaigns bashing each other like it's a high school popularity contest and the biggest jock will win. Someone might say something that makes me lose hope in humanity or help me understand gospel principles. And that will happen either directly or indirectly from all questioning I do about people and life.

I have quite enjoyed living here and I've learned a lot about myself. I've seen how easy it is to trust people and that some times you let people down or they let you down. I've learned that while it's nice having someone there for you always, I won't die from the lack of social life or from missing people very dear to me. Meeting new people is always fun and the variety you find can be humorous and you can find awesome friends amongst the lot. I've learned that I can cook too! Even working full time can't put a kink in learning how to use a crock pot. It's super fun and I feel so domestic.

I'm teaching primary too. It's wonderful to be teaching again and to be around such innocent wild, yet sweet, children that know so much and can learn a lot more. It's good to hear them talk about how they see life and what they like to do. Mostly, it's nice to see how much they remember when you think they aren't listening ;) And to teach dance again is the most fun thing I can think of. It's what I love and it's never ending. I haven't personally been dancing much since I got here but being around people that want to learn is so exhilarating! I can definitely see myself doing that for the rest of my life.

So no matter how concerned I am with humanity and what actually happens outside of a BYU setting, I am grateful to be here and to truly enjoy life between the stress and facts of life.

Last but not least here's a little inspiration for the week past and more weeks to come:

2 peter 1:3-4
"According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust."

-Ani

No comments:

Post a Comment