Saturday, April 6, 2013

Raise thy standard

I was told today of something a dear relief society president once said. She said that even though she wasn't married until later in life, she knew where her future husband was every six months. He was at the priesthood session of General Conference. What faith she had!!! And what a standard she set for her future husband. I know I was told at a young age to find my stance and stand it. If I didn't want to date until I was sixteen I had to decide that for myself and stand my ground. If I didn't want to smoke or swear, I needed to decide and be unwavering. It doesn't go away in tough times of a "single college woman." It is something we have to decide daily. Am I going to be stronger today? Am I going to stand my ground?

In all of my years of dating I was alway told to not settle. I was told that I am a daughter of God and I should set my standard high. Anyone worth marrying will rise themselves to meet my standards. I don't think I ever fully appreciated those words. Setting a standard does not mean dating someone to see if you can make them better. It's about choosing someone who is worth it to begin with. I don't think it's easy to imagine a sinner demanding someone who is worthy. I know I'm a sinner and I have a hard time remembering I deserve an eternal family with someone who loves me and works equally with me. That comes from doubt. I know I deserve it and I will have an eternal family in the future but it's doesn't mean I've always thought this. It is something I've had to learn. It is something that I've that has come with the goodness of the atonement. Even stained souls can return.

Many of the talks given today has told me to look passed the short comings of people and find their potential. Myself included. The atonement can heal any who truly seeks it. Healing takes forgiveness. We must forgive and we must forgive ourselves. We must raise a standard and protect ourselves from the doubt that may come from experiencing weakness and giving in to temptation. We must have courage to set a standard, to stand out in the crowd and to find others who stand beside us.




There is nothing more satisfying than being a true witness of Christ and showing him where you stand by the decision you have made here and now to follow him. Let us all have the faith to know where we stand and that our loved ones stand beside us. We are equal and we will not settle but rather fortify our faith with that one person who will walk beside us in eternity with our families. We are all brothers and sisters striving for the same goal. Some just have a harder time remembering. May we help each other remember.

Here is to another day as a daughter of God. Here is to the people who I aspire to be because of the faith they have shown me. Finally, here is to my family. On this earth and in heaven, here now and here to come.

-Ani


No comments:

Post a Comment