Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Worth of Souls

May has been a funny month, I've felt every emotion known to man.You know when you wake up in the morning you could be happy or sad with what life throws at you so you better just accept it and do all you can to make the best of it. I'm a lucky one blessed with great roommates, family and really great friends to remind me that I'm loved and have great worth.

I've contemplated serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Later-Day Saints for sometime now. It's been over two years since the words came out of my mouth as just a thought of what I wanted to do but now it's more than just words. I do not know what the immediate future has for me or if I will get another answer but this one thing I do know is that it's a privilege to share the joy I feel with those around me. With or without a specific call to go to another place for 18 months, I know sharing the gospel of Christ is what I want to do.

I'm a young woman making this decision and I've heard it all from, "don't go, you're too young," to "you shouldn't think twice about it!" I enjoy hearing advice from those around me but the intent of my writing today is not about me and my decisions but of what I know to be true and my feelings I've felt so strongly. This is my testimony to the world:

Life is not perfect and it never goes according to plan. Sometimes hurtful things are said and we feel like we're being attacked as individuals. It's no new news that confidence can be lower easily and self-esteem is diminishing among all different cultures and walks of life. Everyone just wants to be loved, right?

In the Doctrine and Covenants, a book usually found in accompaniment with the Book of Mormon, we find divine truth about the worth of souls. In chapter 18 verses 10-13, I am comforted with knowledge that every soul is of high value in the eyes of the lord. The Lord and my Savior, Jesus Christ suffered the pains of death that I might not have to bear the burden on my own. What human being could actually take upon their own pains and still live through it or bring themselves to heaven in the end? It's a common phrase that I've heard it everywhere in reference to embarrassment, pain, sadness and just about everything else, "I just want to die." Well, I have news for the world! Someone did die that we might be comforted, that we might live again in peace after all of our trials and pains are through. He is, Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ may not be a physical being in my life but he's still a great influence to me. In the bible we find Christ himself talking of us as friends. St John 15:15-16, "I have called you friends." The ultimate friendship is given to us and with nurturing and commitment to live up to the call, we can live face to face with our friend again. When all the world has no more material value, I will see my friend again.

Surely the Lord would not call us his friends if we had no worth or had no potential to rise up with him. Even in our trials no matter how "unfair" they may be, they are not for nothing. Our trials give us opportunity to prove ourselves and to grow to be better. I was told today that trials come to all people. What makes the difference is how we've prepared ourselves before the storm. In St Matthew a parable is given two houses, one built on a rock and another built on the sand. The houses are us and how we weather storms. Storms will come to all people, righteous or not but we can survive if we stand strong.

I know that life is not fair. We get sick, we do not live forever and bad things simply happen and the righteous are not always spared. When obstacles stand in our way, our testimony will shine, spoken through our reactions. I know it will be better if just endure to the end.

To those who are alone, you will find comfort and companionship. To those who've lost loved ones, you will see them again. To those in pain, relief is soon at hand. To those I love, thank you. To the whole world, I know these things are true.

Never lose hope. 1 John 3:3, "And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure." The Savior will make you whole and he is mindful of you. He can heal us because he has the power over physical things, mental things and over all elements we know. Do not doubt your worth or your place in this world. You deserve the best and can rise above whatever your past has been. Even the good can get better and the wounds will heal with time.

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later-Day Saints and I believe in Christ. We will live again and can live forever with our families through righteousness. We have modern day prophets on this earth and the hand of God is in all things. You are never alone.

These things I am held accountable for and hope it's enough to convict me of being a believer.
Stay strong
-Ani

No comments:

Post a Comment